Sunday, January 23, 2011

2011 photo yearbook project day #23

A big pot full of happy:


I got too tired last night to make my chicken tikka masala (aka butter chicken) but I made it today and it was spicy and delicious!  My belly is now really full and food coma is probably going to hit.

There are a lot of variations out there but I loved this recipe for being fairly easy.  I sliced chicken breasts into strips and marinated it in a lovely spice mixture of lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, minced ginger, salt, cayenne and black pepper.  Like yesterday's chicken schwarma, I forgot to buy yogurt so I used some oil to make it more of a marinade.  Into the fridge it went for about an hour.

For the start of the sauce, I melted butter and sauteed a minced glove of garlic with a minced jalapeno.  To that I added more cumin, paprika, and cayenne.  Then a tomato sauce was added with a cup of heavy cream and it was simmered to reduce for about 20 minutes.  Lazy to pull out the grill pan again, I browned the chicken in a saute pan and finished it in the sauce after it had thickened up a bit.  Once it was done and the heat was off, I hit the pot with a handful of chopped cilantro.

I served this over basmati rice and heated up some TJs naan - the frozen ones, which are far superior to the ones in the bakery aisle.  Spicy and delicious!


Next time, I think I'll grate the ginger rather than mincing because I keep eating small chunks but the flavors were spot on with what I was hoping for.  This is going to make great leftovers for the week, yay!

Want to enjoy this easy meal yourself?  Check out the recipe here:  Mel's Kitchen Cafe's chicken tikka masala.  I love Mel's blog, I've tried quite a few recipes from it and have found them delicious, especially the clam chowder.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment