Saturday, January 22, 2011

2011 photo yearbook project day #22


YUM, look at that tastiness!  I ate this for lunch today and it was delish and a snap to make.

I've had this recipe from Cooking Light for chicken shwarma for a while now and only just thought to make it the past few days.  Chicken shwarma is this lovely garlicky, lemony dish that has this great yogurt sauce (also garlicky) that's usually grilled on kebobs.  I made a few changes as far as prep and serving but it was so tasty - and relatively healthy!

What you see there is a pita (with sesame seeds) from TJs warmed up in a pan on the bottom.  I layered on some TJs hummus, followed by a handful of romaine lettuce, a few slices of tomato and my lovely chicken shwarma with some TJs tzatziki (cucumber yogurt sauce) on top.  The chicken was chicken breast, cut into thin strips and marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, curry powder, and salt.  I was too lazy to dig out the grill pan so I just sauteed the chicken in a frying pan and it was still delish!  Garlicky lemony goodness indeed.  The original recipe calls for making a homemade garlicky lemony yogurt sauce but I forgot to buy yogurt so I just used the hummus and tzatziki instead.  It was still awesome!  I think this meat would've been awesome just served with rice, too, if you didn't want the mess of a pita (but I loved the mess of sauces and juices that melded together and dripped out).

Here's a link to the recipe, try it out sometime, too!  It's definitely a recipe that's going into my circulation of meals :)  Cooking Light chicken shwarma recipe

I'm trying out my chicken tikka masala recipe tonight (also known as butter chicken).  It's a wonderfully delicious Indian meal so hopefully it'll turn out great, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment