Wednesday, September 21, 2011

monkey madness

[Source]
If you know me, you know just how much Matt loves monkeys.  Like, LOVES.  When Rebecca Danger - whose monster patterns I absolutely love as well - made the pattern for Jerry the Musical Monkey, I knew I had to have it and make him for Matt!

I've attempted to knit him up before and it's been a struggle.  First, I used a crappy set of knitting needles and it just didn't feel right.  I also seemed to have forgotten, too, that when I learned to crochet, it was also hard at first but then I got the hang of it.  Something about knitting has frustrated me every time I've tried and tried again, and as a result, I've found myself with a whole lot of started and stopped projects with no real progress.  What gives?

Last night, I took another look at Jerry and I'm determined to start and finish him this time around.  I'm never going to learn, or even get good, at knitting if I don't keep trying and practicing, right?  I even bought a skein of blue wool yarn a few weeks ago specifically for this little guy.  So far, I'm 10 rounds in and I'm liking my progress!


I really like the way knitted pieces look and feel, all those neat little stitches and with a lot of stretch.  Also, I learned that knitting uses a lot less yarn than crocheting, go figure.  

I'm using Patons Classic Wool yarn in Royal Blue on size 5 Knitpicks Options circular knitting needles.  They're part of a set I bought that's interchangeable - and lemme say, Knitpicks needles are sharp!  Not bad enough to cause injury but they do pinch after a while.  Rebecca really advocates using the magic loop method on circular needles to knit in the round rather than using double pointed needles.  I had previously used double pointed needles on another project and they drove me crazy, having to switch between them constantly and then I'd drop stitches so often - UGH.  I wasn't sure if I could figure out how to do the magic loop method but after some Youtube videos (a godsend for learning how to do crafts, lemme tell you) and experimenting, I've learned it's really easy and simply amazing!  

I have 30 more rounds of knitting in the round before I have to start messing around with increases/decreases and other things.  My Stitch 'N Bitch Knitters Handbook is also amazingly helpful.  Knitting is actually fun again...especially as I wind down from a crazy day (of which there are many these days) and in front of the TV.  Hopefully I won't any more major snags.  *knocks on wood*

This is obviously the start to Jerry's body, I'll keep you posted on his progress as I continue knitting :)  I hope to become good enough one day to crank out endless cute things and scarves, etc.  Then I can look back and laugh at how foolish I was to give up so often now.

No comments:

Post a Comment