Wednesday, August 17, 2011

never-ending weekend fun

Do you ever have one of those weeks that seem to blend right into the weekend and then blend into the new week before you know it?  Last week felt like one of those weeks!  Work was super busy during the week but it turned into no rest for the weary as there was a lot of nonstop fun during the weekend as well.

On Saturday, Matt decided it would be a great idea to hop on up to Fresno for that night's Fresno Grizzlies baseball game.   I was really tempted not to go as Fresno is three hours away, yeesh.  But it's pretty lame not to do stuff together even if it's crazy, right?  So we rented a car for the day and headed up at 1:30 p.m. for that night's game.  On the way up, we hit a snag in the plans when the 5 N halted at a dead stop because a semi carting new cars was ON FIRE on the freeway.  We could see the thick black smoke from afar and knew we were in trouble as we got closer.  Thankfully, the fire was contained fairly quickly and we were on our way soon enough although on reduced-down-to-one-lane traffic.  It was pretty crazy to drive past the mess - the front half of the truck was intact but the back half was burned from the inside out and you could see all the new cars inside.  Or, err, what was left of them.

The rest of the trip was uneventful and the game turned out to be pretty fun.  It wasn't too crowded so we got to sit in our section in peace.  At one point, they did a segment from the local ABC sports broadcast and I realized the sportscaster was one of my USC journalism classmates!  I completely forgot he worked in Fresno and it was cool to see and hear him being a pro.  I got a stuffed animal of the mascot Parker (he's a bear, obviously) to add to my mascot collection and they even had this awesome plush hat of his head/face that I bought and wore in the car on the way home, haha.  12 hours after leaving home, we made it back, definitely exhausted.  Phew!

On Sunday, we headed out to the house of my big boss for a firm BBQ/pool party at his house in Long Beach.  The whole staff was invited, as well as families and significant others.  Most of my co-workers were there and it was pretty fun.  Of course, the community is a gated community so when we pulled up, I had to give our info to the guard on duty and when she gave us the parking pass, Matt noticed that she had written 'Mr. Ho' on the pass (since he was driving).  Say what?  Ok then.  Only a few kids got in the pool and the rest of us relaxed at tables set up around the pool.  The weather was nice so it worked out, and it was nice to meet some of the spouses and significant others of some of my co-workers.  The food was typical fare (burgers, hot dogs) and some tasty bits like fresh guacamole and homemade macaroni and cheese.  Yum.

Afterwards, we headed to California Adventure/Disneyland since we were close and the weather was nice.  We first snagged a snack of mozzarella sticks and beverages at the bar in Rainforest Cafe beforehand.  The crowds weren't too bad and we got to enjoy a lot of different rides at California Adventure.  We did Silly Symphony Swings twice (which Matt had never done before even when it was the Orange Stinger), Goofy Flying School (re-done from Mulholland Madness), Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, and although the Little Mermaid ride was closed at first, we happened to walk right up when it was just re-opening so we just about walked right on.  That's never happened before!  Much like my sister said, the ride has its creepy moments, like Ariel looking and dancing crazed in the 'Under the Sea' room, and the ending was somewhat abrupt as far as wrapping up the story, but some of it was cute, especially the depictions of Sebastian and the music.  I'm glad we did it but I can't say it would be worth waiting in a long line.

We zipped over to Disneyland for a short while after, so we could do Buzz Lightyear (as pictured above).  Don't you love my classic dumb-founded open-mouthed face?  Haha.  Matt was really proud of his score because he achieved it legitimately (the ride never stopped anywhere) and he hit a spot on Zorg that got him uber points.  He was really excited.  I'm just happy we got the picture this time, I don't always get it when I send it to myself, boo.  I picked up some freshly made pecan nuttles (aka pixies) when we were leaving afterwards, too.  I've been craving those things for a while but they haven't been making them!  But, mmm tasty.

I even found the Tigger pillow pet on the way out to add to my collection.  (Of course I failed to take any pics...pfft, I've been so bad about this lately.)  A few weeks before, I found the Pluto pillow pet which I had been trying to find for a while, and this week, I noticed that of the Pluto, Eeyore and Tigger pillows, only Tigger was left!  So glad I got Pluto the last time.  But I love 'em to death, they're so cute and soft, heehee.  A Jamba Juice on the way out and Taco Bell for dinner and the night (and weekend) were complete.  Exhausting! 

I still have pics to take and a post to make of my goodies from Renegade LA, and still have pics for a post about our trip to the East Coast to Virginia Beach, etc.  Super behind, I know.  Just trying to get back on my feet, I suppose, especially after all this craziness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment