Sunday, July 25, 2010

post-bar aspirations

Despite the Bar being next week, the MPRE in 2 weeks, and even a busy August full of plans to enjoy the remaining bits of summer, I'm already thinking about things I want to do and accomplish once September hits.  So much has been sucked out of me this summer that I'm really looking forward to getting my life back on track.

Here are some aspirations for the remainder of this year:

~ I need to hit the gym.  I have a 3-year gym membership that's collecting dust and this Bar stuff hasn't helped with the weight I needed to lose before I started the summer.  Ideally, I'd like to lose 30 pounds.  Realistically, I'd like to lose 10-15.  I miss my cardio machine and rocking out to my iPod.  Really.

~ Earlier this year, I bought a sewing machine.  And with it's god-awful instructions and our inexperience, neither me nor my sister could figure out how the hell to use it.  It, too, is now collecting dust and that is surely a shame for two crafty people like us!  Somehow, I must learn how to use it so that we can make amazing clothes, pillowcases, plushies, bags, clutches....so many awesome things!  (By the way, if you have a favorite sewing book that helps beginners with such things, please feel free to share!)

~ I really failed myself this summer with studying.  I didn't do enough, got distracted too often and couldn't stay focused.  It's something about summer...it just feels like summer break.  I'm not sure how next week will go (and I'm going to try my best despite the circumstances), but I don't want to go through this feeling again (that is, kicking myself).  That's why, starting in September, I'm going to begin studying on my own again, one subject every week.  I won't know my results until November (just in time to ruin Thanksgiving and Christmas), but I figure even if I don't pass, I'll already have 2 1/2 months of review and practice under my belt, and re-taking the exam in February 2011 won't be as daunting or painful (considering that .  Even if I did pass (which, truthfully, would be something of a miracle), studying a bit each day wouldn't have been a waste since it's information that's relatively helpful anyway.  The Bar is never fun or easy, but as comfortable as I can make it by re-taking it, the happier I'll be.  I've really felt like I didn't have enough time to absorb, memorize and understand all of the rules I needed to, and the extra time commitment, balanced with doing things I love, might make the whole process easier. At least I'll be able to retain something!

~ Of course, I must start my Etsy shop!  Which actually involves so much.  First, I need to work on my designs and create a small inventory so I have items to list and items to list over time.  The first types of items I want to create are, of course, silver wire and gemstone jewelry, and plushies.  Other items will come as I develop ideas.  I still need to write my formal shop policies and work on my packaging materials.  I also need to photograph everything I make - I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to such things so it should be interesting.  After that, I'll have to select some photos to feature on my mini Moo cards (essentially, my business cards) and have those made as well.  I'll use these cards in my packaging and to have on hand in case I get any inquiries in person.  Once all that's in place and items are listed, I'll need to market my shop!  This might be the hardest part - I'll need to do enough things to get enough exposure for the shop and I'll need to be creative about it, too.  I've never had aspirations to own my own business before but I'm sorta excited about this prospect.  I'm worried that I won't be able to get it off the ground or have any sales, but I hope with enough hard work, it'll all pay off.  Wish me luck!

~ I must make a work schedule and stick with it.  That means, I'll have to treat every day as if I had a full-time job.  Part of my day will be spent working on Etsy (new designs, new creations, marketing, and hopefully sales to pack and ship) and part of the day will be spent on studying.  No more laziness or lying around!  Time flies by so quickly every day, every week, and I really want to maximize it the best I can.

~ Along the lines of photography, I'd love to work on my photography skills (of which I have none).  I probably don't have the fanciest camera but I think I could still do a lot on my lil Canon.  Do you ever look at people's photos on Facebook, etc., and wish you could take awesome and unique pics, too?  Yeah, my sister and I do.  So, I want to learn and figure it out.  Why not?  So Cal is full of such beautiful places, I really don't take advantage of that as much as I could or should.

~ I must learn how to use Photoshop.  Not just the basics, but it would be nice to learn some cool skills, too.  I bought a drawing tablet earlier this year that's really begging to be used.  This is all unfamiliar technology to me, much like the aforementioned sewing machine, but I plan on conquering it!

~ I'd also like to work on new crafts - that is, learn new skills.  I've always wanted to learn how to draw and sketch better; to paint; to work on paper crafts (and cards); to make ribbon and paper flowers; to learn to knit and work on my crochet skills.  So many crafts...so little time.  I think the Internet and may craft books will be my friend.  My apartment is full of fabric, buttons, feathers, ribbon, beads, yarn, cardstock, and they're all begging to be made into something awesome!

~ I must find chocolate covered gummy bears.  Rumor has it they're sold in bulk at Bristol Farms.  I intend to find out.

~ I must save money to pay off some of my debts.  I can't really afford to spend any money especially if I'm not making any while I do all of these things.  If I'm lucky, I'll be successful enough being crafty that it'll help to pay some of it off.

~ I need to stop dressing like a bum and wear make-up more often.  I'm in my late 20's and own so many awesome clothes (some still with tags on them), shoes, make-up, handbags and I make my own jewelry - you'd think I'd put that all to good use!

~ I need to hem my designer jeans.  I have gorgeous pairs of jeans and they are ridiculously long, but I just haven't had the time to hem them.  Therefore, they sit in my jean pile, begging to be worn.  And I've refused to wear them because despite the fact that I usually feel like wearing heels in order to wear them, they tend to still be too long with heels!  I recently found an easy way to hem them (thank you, Google), but I need to put needle and thread in hand (or sewing machine to use) and take care of them!

~ I must go to many sporting events.  I've missed out on a whole summer (almost) of minor league baseball with the bf, and I need to catch up.  We'll catch some games in August, including some in Seattle and Portland on our week-long trip.  We also may catch a pro game or two in Sept.  And I can't wait for basketball season to begin in Nov.  I *MUST* catch a Bulls game in person somehow, somewhere.  I <3 me some Bulls and had a blast last year going to a game at the United Center.  (I'm not a homer - they're my hometown team!)  The best part about sporting games?  The mascots.  Oh yes.

~ I want to spend more time at the beach and looking through tide pools.  I want to go to Disneyland a LOT.  I want to visit my animal friends at the SD Zoo often.

~ I will go with the bf to many restaurants, including all of the ones he's been wanting to go to for FOREVER.  For months, I've been telling him 'no' every time he's asked, but I should really be more open to his ideas and accept his invitations to enjoy date nights.

~ I want to be less stubborn and more even tempered.  Sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me, and I'd like to work on not losing my cool over stuff that doesn't even matter all that much.

~ I want to enjoy all of the little things in life that I take for granted.

And throughout all of this, I plan to share my adventures, successes and failures.  You'll get to peek into my life of crafting and all of my crazy adventures.  I've really enjoyed blogging in the short time I've done it, but I'd like to refine my posts and make them more interesting. I've always enjoyed writing and I miss doing it (in a non-legal fashion), but I'd like to add more of a spark and humor.  I'll blame it right now on being stuck in law school and this Bar crap, but it'll be over soon and then I'll be able to live my life!  (Well, even if I have to re-take the Bar, I refuse to let it take over my life and will be less procrastinator and more organized and studious studier and all will be well.)

1 comment:

  1. just so you know if you ever need help with your etsy shop let me know I love to help in any way that I can :) and good luck on your test

    ReplyDelete